[SGVLUG] Speaker for this month

Charles N Wyble charles at knownelement.com
Tue Mar 16 10:50:36 PDT 2010

John E. Kreznar wrote:
> From: Charles N Wyble <charles at knownelement.com>
> Subject: Re: [SGVLUG] Speaker for this month
> Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 11:41:26 -0800
>> Um..... huh?
>>

> Towards clarification, the sense of "data ownership" discussed at the
> meeting was entirely different from the "data ownership" that is the
> enemy of open source, i.e. the "ownership" asserted by the proprietary
> software companies over the publicly available bit strings that
> constitute the subject of their EULAs.

All of the software I'm using meets the legal definition of open source
or free software. I know those
terms are used interchangeably most of the time, and for most purposes
they are the same. So I think
that my talk did in fact address the "

"ownership" asserted by the proprietary
software companies over the publicly available bit strings that
constitute the subject of their EULAs.

, as it was about using 100% open source software/data  formats
to remove dependence on closed source software/networked services.

Or were you expecting a talk on reverse engineering closed source
software? Cause I
could give a talk on that at some point in the future when I have done
more malware
analysis. I'm certainly not more then a novice in that area now.  Though
it's quite easy
these days with a lot of software to automate the process.

I am still using some proprietary software as I mention in my talk, and
am actively seeking ways to move
off of those platforms in the next 18 to 24 months. Things like Skype
for example.