[SGVLUG] DSL: static or faster?

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 14:01:17 PST 2010

So you're saying that just the U-verse Internet and regular DSL installation
consists of just a a single box which is the modem and possibly a wireless
access point?  Do either include a router?  Any ethernet ports?   Any other
differences?  If it's still copper on the last leg, how do they get the
extra bandwidth?  I mean with my DSL installation, they put a single filter
at the demarc to separate the voice from the data.  Does U-verse required a
dedicated pair if i still want regular phone service?  I assume your install
didn't include a UPS?  I guess I'm thinking of Verizon's FiOS which, for the
people I talked to, consisted of at least two boxes: the Optical Network
Terminal (ONT) and a UPS.

If U-verse is just a single box then that should fit in my wiring closet if
I'm replacing my existing modem but if it's more than one then I may have to
rearrange stuff.

For just DSL service does anyone know if AT&T's wireless gateway worth it or
am I better of with just their modem and use my own wireless access point?

claude