[SGVLUG] Speaker for this month

Charles N Wyble charles at knownelement.com
Wed Mar 10 10:11:31 PST 2010

On 03/10/2010 09:36 AM, Emerson, Tom (*IC) wrote:
> Sounds good - thanks for offering to present on short notice.

No worries. It will be the 3rd time I've delivered the presentation.
First was at SFVLUG, second at UUASC-OC and now SGVLUG. :)

> data /ownership/ sounds like a neat topic - I noticed John K's response earlier, so I hope he has a chance to make it to the meeting - should make for a lively conversation.

Hmmm. I didn't get that response. Can you repost it to the list?

> For what it's worth, I see the issue being /ownership/ of the /data/, which is totally different than storing data in a proprietary format - if I write a document, that document is MY data, and I should have access to it regardless of the program used to create the document.  OTOH, if someone were to conduct a poll in my neighborhood about some issue, it is perfectly reasonable (to me) for them to store the "raw" poll information in a secure manner - the aggregation of my answer along with answers given by others is THEIR data, not mine (I could argue that my answers are my data, but I do not expect to forget what I answered...)  How they decide to present that aggregation back to me, if at all, is up to them.

I actually don't touch on data lock in at all during my presentation. It
just so happens that the software and formats I am using are 100% open.
:) It's really about functionality and security.