[SGVLUG] DSL: static or faster?

Charles N Wyble charles at knownelement.com
Tue Mar 9 13:06:50 PST 2010

On 03/09/2010 12:30 PM, Emerson, Tom (*IC) wrote:
> Yes, I just read a similar thread - sounds like it *might* work up to 3mbs, but would not handle the 6 meg and higher or "ADSL-2-" (?) technology.  Fun reading the original manual again - I "forgot" there is a web-page accessible within the modem, I should check on it some time soon...

Hopefully it's just accessible on the LAN side and not the WAN. :)

> it might be interesting to consider true "ATM" (ATMF?) access - apparently the ATM port on the alcatel 1000 runs at 25.something megabits/second while the ethernet is limited to 10 megabits.  (still, both are faster than offerings up to 6 or 7 megabits...)  The ATM option, however, infers that the "modem" simply acts as a pass-through device to ATM traffic "on the wire", so I presume (?) that ATM service to the home would be at 25+ megabits...

Yeah the original DSL modems were developed/deployed at a time when they
were trying to push ATM from core to edge/end devices. Ethernet has
clearly won in the LAN.

> One can dream :)

Uverse isn't that far from 25mbps (it's 18mbps down). Well depending on
the service tier of course.