[SGVLUG] DSL: static or faster?

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Tue Mar 9 12:02:55 PST 2010

Hello Claude - to answer your questions to me originally, I still have 384k sync (up and down) for the same reason as you (static IP and a specific clause in their TOS that allows me to "run a server")  A few weeks back I was cold-called to "upgrade" to u-verse, and I specifically asked them if they provided a static IP - she had to ask someone, but did come back and say "yes, that is included" - I'm not really holding my breath, but it does sound like a step in the right direction.  (also, while talking to the cold-caller, I mentioned I wasn't interested in the "other" features, so I was told I needed to shop online for it as she could only sell me a "bundle", but it was available separately.)

For a while I was without phone service at all [good with the bad - I was "on" the internet too much anyway, so this provided a nice break - besides, the only people that called ME were telemarketers...]  turns out they had replaced the local "green box" with a new "beige box" about 50 yards farther away [but still close enough I could hit it with a strong throw - it's downhill :) ]  and when they did, they forgot to connect my line (or else the connection was "loose" and finally fell off)  In any case, that new "beige" box is, of course, fiber; the last couple hundred yards is likely copper, but maybe they could run fiber as well (not sure what the reqs are at that distance)

since my "modem" is the old "alcatel 1000", which apparently is a piece of crap (though it works fine for me), if I "upgrade" I'll probably be given a new modem (and, as someone pointed out, probably be forced into ppoe or similar)  Does anyone know what the actual "top speed" for the alcatel is?  maybe I can convince them to simply upgrade the existing connection if it will work...