[SGVLUG] HipHop for php now open source

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Tue Feb 2 14:50:35 PST 2010

[this is probably of more value to the developers in our group, but not all of them are on the "dev-sig" list - OTOH, I think everyone actually on the dev-sig list is here, so...]

>From the Facebook developer blog:

http://networkedblogs.com/p26581460

"Earlier this morning, Facebook officially made their new PHP "compiler," called HipHop, available as open source software. In the blog post by Haiping Zhao, HipHop for PHP is described as a "source code transformer" which has allowed Facebook to nearly double their PHP operating speeds, at the cost of minor omissions such rarely used functions in the PHP language."