[SGVLUG] Dev-Sig PHP "Class" development project

bobjaffray at juno.com bobjaffray at juno.com
Wed Apr 28 09:01:10 PDT 2010

To add functionality to the QuickDat PHP package we
will need to learn about files and how to handle
the data in flat files with some field delimiters.
But following Tom Emerson's lead it appears that
it will be best to start with arrays and how to
handle them, picking up various details about PHP
systax and constructs as we go. We hope Tom can
help us plan for the next step.

Once you get into looking at the PHP documentation you
find a large number of built-in functions and extensions.
So in a once-a-month tutorial we can't even get our
feet wet but simply dip in our toes. This makes it
even more important to concentrate on something that
will be useful as we go, rather than try to survey
the language. It makes all the more sense to add
useful functions to preexisting package which will
then be in keeping with the group as a "development"
SIG.

The next meeting is this coming Saturday at 1 PM
May 1st, at the Southern California Genealogical
Society building at 417 Irvine Dr. in Burbank,
just off of Glenoaks Blvd. up from Scott's Rd.