[SGVLUG] Thanks for bash -c puzzle

Rae Yip rae.yip at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 17:51:26 PDT 2010

Matt, if you're doing this in perl (as suggested by your use of the
"system" call), then you can simply store your SQL query in a
variable, and then send it to open("| ssh host mysql ..."), rather
than getting all tangled up in shell syntax.

If you're doing it in pure shell, then heredocs are your best bet for
not having to re-quote anything. Seriously, I've done all this before,
so I know what the tricks are. The layered quoting way lies madness.

-Rae.