[SGVLUG] [OT] high tech solution for a low tech problem...

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 3 10:38:34 PDT 2010

fyi -

some URLs while long, actually just have a lot of extra stuff attached to them, so you really don't need it all...

>> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/01/technology/personaltech/01smart.html?
>> src=un&feedurl=http%3A%2F%2Fjson8.nytimes.com%2Fpages%2Ftechnology%2Fpe
>> rsonaltech%2Findex.jsonp

could be shorten to
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/01/technology/personaltech/01smart.html

though ymmv as sometimes you can't read the article without a
referring link notation attached...

> > Some ... may even consider sending a long URL rude.

Seeing a lot of spam using "short url" substitution to
hide their true URLs has gotten me to prefer longer
URLs

tho I still dislike the super long ones... and prefer
websites make cleaner URLs.

personally i try to trim the extra stuff off URLs, but
having to goto tinyurl or similar each time I want to
pass along a URL via email/posting is an extra step
i would like to avoid spending time on.

best
matti