[SGVLUG] DSL: static or faster? -- update

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 15:31:29 PDT 2010

Hey Tom, did you ever call about upgrading your DSL tier?  I managed
to find a spare 2-wire DSL modem and my speeds have gone from roughly
3000/600 kbps using my 10+ yr old Alcatel to ~5000/630 with my
sister's 4 yr old 2-wire 1000HW as measured from my windoze desktop to
the various testing sites.  Last night I swapped back to my old modem
and the speeds dropped back so I know the newer modem is making a
difference.  Here's one of the diagnostics screens on the newer modem:

DSL                            Down            Up
Current Rate:               6016 kbs      768 kbs
Max Rate:                   8896 kbs    1036 kbs
Current Connection:
Current Noise Margin   15.0 dB       14.0 dB
Current Attenuation       27.6 dB       20.0 dB
Current Output Power   20.5 dB       11.9 dB

Now I'm wondering if I should try the latest model with G speed
wireless and additional diagnostic info.  I was tempted to put it into
bridge mode but it made sense to retire my old Netgear RT311 which
while it has been so dependable just doesn't have as many features.  I
need to check if I have any G speed devices - I think most are either
hard wired or are B speed.

BTW, when I called AT&T tech support to get a temp password as my
sister had forgotten her old one, I specifically told them I have a
static IP.  Otherwise it sounded like they were about to assign me a
dynamic IP instead but maybe it wouldn't have made a difference as I
was able configure it to use my static IP.

claude