[SGVLUG] linux-friendly netbooks

Sean sean at seanodonnell.com
Wed Sep 2 17:03:47 PDT 2009

I have the EPC1000HD, which came stocked with Windows XP.

I soon replaced the Windows XP OS after discovering 1 week later that it had
included a Sino rootkit/keylogger, which either came out of the box (thanks
Asus), or was somehow embedded in a version of Cygwin that I had downloaded
from anl.gov mirrors.

In any event, I installed Debian etch via TFTP. The most painstaking task
has been dealing with the drivers for this machine's NIC. I was easily able
to get the wifi drivers installed and running after a few hours of googling,
but I've still (a year later almost) have gotten the wired NIC to work,
which is more due to lack of time and desire than anything.

The one gripe I have is that I can't get a really feasible resolution (to my
standards), so it's really not something I find myself using much, aside
from when traveling. I'd rather have an iphone though, in that sense.