[SGVLUG] Embedded Software position

Sean sean at seanodonnell.com
Fri May 29 17:18:37 PDT 2009

iPhone already has apps like this...

http://www.thefrisky.com/post/246-iphones-can-save-you-from-drunk-dialing/

--------- Original Message --------
From: SGVLUG Discussion List. <sgvlug at sgvlug.net>
To: SGVLUG Discussion List. <sgvlug at sgvlug.net>
Subject: Re: [SGVLUG] Embedded Software position
Date: 30/05/09 00:08

> I would totally sign up for white/black box testing of a breathalyzer.
> Getting drunk and paid for it? :)
>
> Emerson, Tom (*IC) wrote:
> &gt; -----Original Message----- Of Kathy Magel
> &gt;
> &gt; I'm a recruiter working with a leading developer of image processing
and security identification systems ... full-time position responsible for
the development and enhancement of a wireless, hand-held device used by
military and law enforcement personnel.
> &gt; =========================================
> &gt;
> &gt; Hi Kathy - sounds like an interesting job (and an intersting moral
delima - after all, it's not a question of whether or not you want &quot;big
brother&quot; to be watching you in the first place -- that's pretty much a
given at this point -- but the question now is &quot;do you want BB watching
you with open or closed products?&quot;) (*)
> &gt;
> &gt; In fact, I think that could lead to a lively discussion and/or
presentation (if your client is willing) on the state of surveilance and
security with respect to &quot;open source&quot; ideals and products.
> &gt;
> &gt; Tom
> &gt;
> &gt; (*) arguments can be made on both sides, and some of the arguments
are along the lines of &quot;submarine patents&quot; - i.e., waiting for the
results of a closed application to convict &quot;the wrong guy&quot;, and
therefore push to reveal the underlying code and in order to invalidate all
past, current, and possibly future &quot;convictions&quot; based on results
of the analysis of the proprietary device.  Case in point: the source code
for a breathalyzer was recently subpoenaed and examined/reviewed - the
result of the study included notes like this:
http://www.nj-dmv-dwi.com/pdf/DRAEGERALCOTEST7110MKIII-C.pdf]