[SGVLUG] Troubleshooting RPC/NFS

Solomon K. Chang skevin521 at yahoo.com
Tue May 19 11:30:59 PDT 2009

Hmm, try as I might, I cannot seem to get NFS running on a particular server.

When I do an "rpc -p localhost", I get:
# rpcinfo -p localhost
   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    100024    1   udp    786  status
    100024    1   tcp    789  status

Then I run rpc.nfsd, but I'm not seeing it in "rpc -p localhost".  I have another server which is *supposed* to be identical (as in, I copied this image via dd from a Live CD and slapped the HD in) with which this does work.  I can also run rpc.lockd and rpc.mountd without any problems, and they show up as running.

I'm not really an RPC expert, but I figure someone on this list might have some insight as to debugging RPC.

Solomon Chang
Senior DBA
Not So Senior SysAdmin