[SGVLUG] Shared Storage Woes

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Fri May 15 18:08:19 PDT 2009

Todd,

How do you like your Drobo?  Did you format it with FAT32 or NTFS or
what?  What type of host did you connect it to?  Windoze or Mac?  Can
you connect a Linux box to it directly?   What do you think about
droboshare which I understand adds NAS capability to it?  How well can
you add various HD's to the device and how long does it take to
reconfigure things?

The 3rd drive in my fileserver at home hiccuped again so i'm thinking
of replacing it with a NAS box.  It's getting a bit tedious to have to
reboot the box and rebuild the raid.  I think I've had enough of this
DIY stuff and want to go COTS.  A friend recommended the Promise
SmartStore NS4300N NAS,
http://www.promise.com/product/product_detail_eng.asp?product_id=177
but they had just announced the 4600 at the time which sounded very
interesting.

But what I'd really like is a ReadyNAS as it will run most of my media
sharing apps so I may be able to retire my fileserver or at least
allow me to upgrade stuff w/o having to take the shared files offline.
claude

claude