[SGVLUG] Not-so-quick question 1

Matt Campbell dvdmatt at gmail.com
Fri May 1 13:25:22 PDT 2009

Hi Mic,  see responses inline blow(sp).

Windows - full points (see original post).
Laptop - Bzzzz

> Is the USB port on the laptop a USB 1.1 or a USB 2.0 port?  What is BD?
The port is USB2 but it's running USB1 'cause there's a mouse.
BD is industryspeak for Sony Blu-Ray disc.

>  I am guessing that you have a single USB port on your laptop and you
> are using a USB hub.  Is the USB hub powered or not?  Is the hard disk
> in the enclosure an IDE or a SATA drive?  Out of curiosity what all USB
> devices do you have attached on this single chain?  Have you tried
> putting the USB drive on a single USB port by itself to test?
I am using a single port as my desktop is mounted in a equipment rack 10 feet from my desk.  There is a powered hub half way along the path and a passive hub in my keyboard going to the mouse and still camera.
The headphones, HD/DVD/BD drive, subject hard drive, web camera, and printer are plugged into the powered hub.
This is a IDE enclosure.  I've tried moving this drive to another computer and have seen the same issues.  I guess that makes this a problem across 2 computers, 2 drives and 3 cases which is why I'm perplexed.  There must be more than one failure here.

Matt