[SGVLUG] Moving files in a safe way

Matt Campbell dvdmatt at gmail.com
Fri May 1 01:00:29 PDT 2009

Thanks Rae,

The speed difference was what I was fishing for.

The incantation you provided below apparently didn't contain some
information I needed.  The following didn't work, where did I go wrong?

matt at scar:25% find /media/Media -depth | cpio -oH odc | ssh -e none
matt at mufasa cpio -idmv /media/Media matt at mufasa's password:
cpio: Media/NinjaNonsense/English/Ninin English 10.mov: file width not
sufficient for storing file size
cpio: premature end of file

Could it be that the file was over a Gig in size?

Here is a report from the Debian bugs list on Aug '08:

"This is dreadful. cpio is passing over backup files and omitting large and
important files. Please raise to critical."

But I'm running Fedora 10... that makes it all ok right?

Matt