[SGVLUG] Outsourcing IT - IBM and KP

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 27 17:49:18 PDT 2009

Hi,

> A little off topic for 'what is a
> sysadmin', but on-topic on outsourcing.
>
> A big medical company, Kaiser Permanente, outsourced some
> of their data
> center operations to IBM, was mentioned in news.google.com,
> so I think the
> evidence seems to support that big companies continue to
> try to outsource
> IT, I presume it will include sysadmins, too.

Here's the article in question:
http://wistechnology.com/articles/5740/

more outsourcing news on IBM

IBM Layoffs Raise Political Questions in New York
http://www.cio.com/article/487121/IBM_Layoffs_Raise_Political_Questions_in_New_York

Outsourcing issues:
http://www.cio.com/article/487145/Cloud_Storage_Hiccups_Prompt_Data_Security_Questions

Intro to outsourcing:
ABC: An Introduction to Outsourcing
http://www.cio.com/article/40380/ABC_An_Introduction_to_Outsourcing

Cloud Storage Hiccups Prompt Data Security Questions
http://www.cio.com/article/487145/Cloud_Storage_Hiccups_Prompt_Data_Security_Questions

I think you will see a lot of companies right now
attempt to find more affordable ways to do things,
( except maybe for those bonus going to upper management )

The problem is that sometimes what looks more affordable
isn't very cost effective

example of one such attempt to relocate to a
lower populated area and save money:

US firm to close branch due to lack of employees
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090316/ts_alt_afp/useconomyjobscompany

best
matti