[SGVLUG] What is a Linux Admin? What should I learn/know?

Edgar Garrobo egarrobo at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 13:17:38 PDT 2009

- The workforce of today is more computer savvy than that of 20 years ago,
there are employees not employed as sysadmins who know how to troubleshoot
applications in Windows.

If this applies to your company, you are a very fortunate man Matt.  I've
worked at about 6 companies, large and small, without ever seeing such
users.  Most non-IT employees I've worked with have an attitude similar to
"I don't know what's wrong, and I don't want to know. I just want it fixed."

I think it's rather uncommon for a company to be able to accept a 24 hour
turnaround on problems.  Business continuity is what will keep the sysadmin
position around in my opinion.  I'm more concerned that the salary will
start to decrease as the sysadmin is seen as more of a commodity.