[SGVLUG] La "computer fair" only at Pomona now?

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 13:48:31 PDT 2009

I still go to the Pomona show occasionally but haven't gone to any of
the others shows in ages because they were much further and it's hard
enough getting up early enough for the Pomona show.  I still think you
can find a good deal on a system.  Parking ($9) is now more than
admission ($6) so you usually have to buy at least a few things to
offset the cost.  One of my old college roommate's lives in Claremont
so he goes fairly often as his girlfriend would drop us off at the
Sheraton gate and pick us up when we were done.  He just got a new
system last month so he wasn't ready to go again but another friend
was in the market for some hardware so I talked her into going.  We
dropped off two CRT's at the eWaste collection for $3 ea which helped
offset the parking.  She was rather unimpressed with the show (too
many nerds and not enough non computer stuff) but we did manage to
find an Iomega 1 TB external drive for her Mac with both firewire and
USB for only $100 (!!).  We ended up picking up the rest of the stuff
she needed on sale at local office supply stores.  I picked up mostly
small stuff like cables, disk enclosures, etc.  Oh, the prices of 1 TB
hard drives have dropped - I picked up a WD "green" 1 TB for $99 in
Jan but I think I saw them going for $89 last weekend.

As for the online places like mwave or newegg, that works fine if you
know exactly what you are looking for otherwise I don't mind going to
the computer show once in a while to look around.

claude