[SGVLUG] Failing ATT Customer Support and system admins

Dan Borne danborne.kde at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 22:47:19 PDT 2009

Today I had a discussion with the customer service of ATT. My father's email
was not sending for that they were not accepting the ssl connexion for smtp
which they forced upon us. Inclosed is my customer service "chat" with what
I am sure was a real person. Incidentaly it kicked me in the session. Hence
I called their actual number and that discussion is summarised underneath.
Corporate America is certainly failing today.

System
Welcome Nathan Osborne.
System
Connecting to server. Please wait...
System
Connection with server established.
You
Technical Support Topic: DSL Configure Email
System
Bethany has joined this session!
System
Connected with Bethany
Bethany
Thank you for contacting AT&T Internet Services. How can I help you?
You
We have two problems. The internet service is off and on but not steady. The
other problem is that outlook cannot be set up to work the way you ask for
it to. We keep getting an error.
Bethany
I am sorry you are experiencing this issue and will be happy to assist you.
Bethany
Hi Nathan
You
When SBC was in charge it worked steady for years.
Bethany
i understand that your Internet connection is not continuous. right?
Bethany
I mean it suddently stop, and at once start.
Bethany
suddenly*
You
Yes you have had a man out checking on it about a month ago. Both my son and
myself are very unhappy with the degraded service
Bethany
so that technician did not resolve the problem?
You
no. Right now my highest priority is getting the e-mail/outlook to work.
Because if the internet works part time i can communicate.
Bethany
ok, Lets come to your outlook problem.
Bethany
Nathan, did you set-up your eamil account on outlook?
Bethany
email*
You
Yes and it worked for years. Then we adjusted it when you changed something
and it worked for 6 months then we started getting error msgs. now it will
not send emails.
Bethany
ok. are you able to use web-mail i.e. checking email from website?
You
yes
Bethany
Ok. Nathan, do you remember the error comes in outlook?
You
it starts out "Task ' pop.att.yahoo.com sending reported error (0 x 800
Bethany
ok. tell me which "version of outlook" are you using?
You
2003
Bethany
there is some problem in your pop and smtp server addresses. Do not worry ,
i check for it
Bethany
Do you know how to open the email account configuration settings in outlook?
Bethany
under Tools--> Accounts
You
yes
Bethany
ok, please let me know the server addresses
Bethany
I mean smtp and pop addresses under servers tab ?
You
For pop pop.att.yahoo.com and for smtp smtp.att.yahoo.com with ports 995 and
465 opened respectively under ssl connexions
Bethany
you mean both SSL checkboxes are checked ?
You
yes
Bethany
ok, please check under account setting ,the email address written ?
Bethany
i mean , what is the email address written , in the account and password
settings ?
You
Of course, it is my email adress>: osborneforest at sbcglobal.net
You
It was as per the instructions. The issue seemed to be that you were not
accepting our ssl connexions and were not able to send emails, however, when
ssl was not activiated, emails would not leave for that the connexion was
not ssl secured
Bethany
Nathan, first both ssl should be checked than the port number should be ,
smtp: 465, pop: 995. This is the correct setting.
Bethany
Nathan, make sure, "leave a copy on server" is also checked there
You
It has been set to this for quite some time. It is not a problem on our end,
rather that your system administrator does not know how to activiate the
acceptance of a bloody ssl connexion
You
I set it that way and it is failing on the test account button.
Bethany
Ok, Nathan, please verify these settings i am going to tell you..
Bethany
Make sure the Log on using Secure Password Authentication (SPA) is not
checked.
Bethany
Put a check in the My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication
checkbox. Click the Outgoing Server tab,
Bethany
i mean , under Outgoing Server tab, Put a check in the My outgoing server
(SMTP) requires authentication checkbox.
You
No it is not checked. Everything is correct as per your website. The issue
is is that your server is not accepting ssl connexions even though your
specify that the only manner in whicha connexion can be made is via this
method
Bethany
Ok, Please verify this setting, it is important...
Bethany
Make sure the Use same settings as my incoming mail server option is
selected (selected by default).
Bethany
And for SSL connection, I can't understand that how this problem persist. I
am checking for it..
Bethany
...Please verify in the Connection tab , choose the Connect using my local
area network (LAN) option.
You
It is, listen. I know the problem: your server is not accepting our ssl
connexion, unless if the problem is fixed at your end, or you give us an
alternate method of smtp access, it will not work. All of the settings are
correct and have been verified as per your request, the information which
you have given and the information available via your website. The error
message is very clear. You are not accepting the form of connexion which you
require of us. Have you eyes with which to read?
Bethany
ok, pleases try unchecking the smtp , ssl box
Bethany
then the port will be 25
Bethany
then apply settings, and try sending mails
You
When we have done that in the past it gives a different error stating that
we must switch to using ssl. iirc, it gives me error message 553. I cannot
send emails when I use ssl or when I do not use ssl.
Bethany
Ok
Bethany
let me check this error 553
Bethany
Nathan, are you using any firewall, antivirus?
You
no
Bethany
i asked because , if ssl is checked, then this error comes due to antivirus
installed on your computer.
You
This is a clean computer with nothing installed on it accept for the base
operating system and the microsoft office suite. There is no reason as to
why this is happening
Bethany
Ok, first please make both ssl checked and change port number to 465-smtp,
995-pop
Bethany
because this is correct, there is some other problem
Bethany
now, after that please click on apply, ok. then close and reopen your
outlook..
You
If we switch the smtp and pop ports as per your request, the pop server no
longer functions correctly
Bethany
i mean compose an email to your own email id and check for it in your inbox.
I am waiting.
System
The session has ended!

Followed by Jason or someone as such on the telephone, obviously a person
from the Indian subcontinent. Typical questions in regards to the
configuration, with responses
by me of, yes everything is configured correctly,   He had to give us a
different "special" smtp server through which to send emails.....
smtpauth.sbcglobal.net Apparently ]
they have had this problem frequently in the past, I shall wait two weeks
before it starts to fuck up again. Why couldn't they have just stated  this
beforehand on their
website and not fail in such a manner. They gave us this solution in the
past, and it harassed us with emails to switch to ssl until finally it would
not send emails via a ssl connexion.
It is for the moment, temporarily fixed.

Then came to the problem of the frequently dropping connexion, something
with which I am sure everyone on irc is familiar. (danborne, danborne_ and
danborne__ all being on
#sgvlug.) The Indian said that he would file a technical report or something
along those lines. Last time that that happened they sent a "technician" who
did nothing more than
plug in two wires and the problem continued. I was told that they would
recalibrate the connexion and that thereby it would work better.... they
have done this multiple times in the past however and it does diddly shit.

 If anyone knows any other service providers in South Pasadena, I would be
happy to know of them, however, I do not believe that
Time Warner or Verizon would really supply anything better.

Pardon for my poor language, however, I am quite angry at the moment.

With anger,

Dan Borne
--
I only check E-Mails at 09.40 Los Angeles time and 16.00 LA time in an
effort to make time more efficient and thereby serve you better. If your

Ich checke meine E-Mail nur bei 09.40 und 16.00 Los Angeles Zeit so wie ich
konnte Zeit mehr effizient machen und damit Ihnen bessere dienen. Wenn Sie
nicht warten können, bitte rufen Sie mir an oder versuchen IRC zu benutzen.
Danke schön, Dan Borne.