[SGVLUG] OT: Space Station and Space Shuttle visible over LA tonight

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 16:12:02 PDT 2009

Darn, I l forgot to point out that these will be visible with the
naked eye even in the light polluted skies of LA.  You will not need
to go look for a dark place to view it, just get away from street
lights and stuff.

Magnitude is the apparent brightness of an object in the sky where 1
was originally defined by the ancient Greeks as the first set of stars
that became visible and 2 was the next set as it got darker and the
eye became more accustomed to the dark. Tonight, the space station
should be magnitude -2.2 and the space shuttle will be -0.6 so they
should both be quite visible and last for several minutes.  See this
website for a better definition and examples:

http://www.heavens-above.com/glossary.aspx?term=magnitude