[SGVLUG] OT: Space Station and Space Shuttle visible over LA tonight

Alan Horn ahorn at deorth.org
Mon Mar 16 15:51:31 PDT 2009

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009, Claude Felizardo wrote:

> For anyone interested, both the international Space Station and the
> Space Shuttle will be visible from the greater Los Angeles area
> tonight.
>
> For ISS, it starts about 7:15 (sunset is about 7:02 tonight) in the
> SW, passes nearly overhead  at 7:18 and ends about 7:21 in the NE.
>
> STS is in a slightly different lower path rising about 7:35 in the
> SWS, reaches max alt of 38 degrees in the NW and disappears about 7:40
> in the NNE.

The last time I went to look at this (which was the above 2 plus a sputnik
within a few degrees of one another), I drove up the 2 towards mt wilson
into the angeles national forest to get away from light pollution.

Its been a few years tho, I don't know if that area still has good
darkness.

Cheers,

Al