[SGVLUG] Linux netbook for $150

Sean sean at seanodonnell.com
Tue Jun 30 16:19:36 PDT 2009

--------- Original Message --------
From: SGVLUG Discussion List. <sgvlug at sgvlug.net>
To: SGVLUG Discussion List. <sgvlug at sgvlug.net>
Subject: Re: [SGVLUG] Linux netbook for $150
Date: 30/06/09 22:50

> I found the following question, derived from the woman's silly
> response, interesting: how many of us here actually use cds and dvds
> with any frequency? Since we are not using any proprietary software,
> there does not seem to me to be any incentive short of maybe
> reinstalling an operating system.

There are still a lot of mere mortals who still have yet to figure out that
installing an OS from a USB 'thumb drive' is no different than a CD
(assuming the board supports USB booting). Hell, I'd wager that most of them
wouldn't even know where to begin installing an OS, even if they had a CD.

However, there might be those pesky GUI-handed lusers who want to burn a
photo album to a CD to send to family members for a slide show (my grandpa
does this often), or something.

External CD/DVD-rom drives are cheap enough to where it shouldn't be an
issue now. though. PEBKAC is PEBKAC, though (and I know PEBKAC!!! ;-p).

The thing that amazes me about computer users in general, is that it amazes
them when they realize other people use computers differently than they do.