[SGVLUG] What kind of linux interest websites do you guys look at?

Swantje swantje at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 14:57:56 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 1:39 PM, David Lawyer <dave at lafn.org> wrote:

> I agree.  But you should realize that men are genetically programmed
> to treat women as sex objects while women are not programmed like
> this.  Instead they are programmed to be selective so that the men
> they have sex with will be good at helping them raise children.  Men
> and women are inherently this way due to evolution and survival.  So
> it's only natural for men to treat women as sex objects and it's also
> natural for women to resist this and object to it.

So maybe in your eyes I'm just a woman "resisting and objecting", but I
really think this is a lame excuse for men behaving badly. It's not at all
normal for men to treat women as sex objects. Even if there was some genetic
instinct or something like that like you suggest, we're not animals living
on instinct, but thinking people who can decide how they want to act.

Why should Linux be any different than any other endeavor?  I think
> most women are aware that many men will try to treat them as sex objects
> and should realize that this is a natural phenomena which they need to
> resist.

In most other endeavors I am interested in, men don't treat women as sex
objects. And it's not natural of a thinking human to do so.

>  I don't think that Kenny's post was all that bad.  So he's
> interested in girls and listed a url that contained the word "sexy".
> So what.

I didn't think Kenny's post was all that bad. Only the surprised tone took
me a little aback. But at least he's interested.

> Note that I was opposed to permitting this "Encourage Women in Linux
> HOWTO" to be published.  It's counter-productive and not really a
> Linux document.

 I agree with you here. It states the obvious, and not in a particularly
constructive way.

Swantje
--
"Small things done with great love will change the world."