[SGVLUG] OT(TTM) Tankless Water Heater

Christopher Smith x at xman.org
Thu Jul 23 21:03:45 PDT 2009

Dan Kegel wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 7:54 PM, DYN: Jim Workman<JimW at dynashoe.com> wrote:
>
>> I need to replace my water heater and am considering a tankless model.  Is
>> anyone already using this new technology?
>>

> Yes.   It takes just as long or longer to get hot water to our
> taps with tankless.  I regret not wrapping our hot water pipes
> with insulation, hope to do it this year.

If you have long pipes, it can be helpful to set up small electrical
tankless heaters at the end points.

We almost went tankless, but ran in to problems with our natural gas
line not being wide enough in diameter along with ventilation
challenges. In general, the win with tankless isn't so much that of a
win in terms of how quickly you get hot water (tank-based systems
usually have plenty of hot water in the thank... it just takes a while
to get it to you), but rather energy savings and the "never emptying
tank" feature for those who could care less about energy savings and
would like to take a 30-minute shower.

--Chris