[SGVLUG] Looking for dyndns.org replacement suggestions...

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 17:45:00 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 5:54 AM, John E. Kreznar<jek at ininx.com> wrote:
> <Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com> but lacking a digital signature, it is
> written:
>
>> ... it looks like I need to find a better dynamic DNS host than
>> dyndns.org ...
>
>> ... my IP is static ....
>
> If your IP address is static, why do you need a dynamic DNS host?
> What are you using it for?

I have a static as well but I use dyndns.org for several reasons:

1) I still haven't decided on a domain name yet but can give out a
sub-domain for people to use that is far easier to remember than an IP
number.
2) I use their webhop URL forwarding feature to "cloak" the actual
address and port of the few services I make available on the net.
Sure anyone can look in the frame but most people don't know the
difference.

I had also wanted to make use of their mailhop outbound and relay
services but that was before gmail - why bother setting up and
maintaining my own mail server now a days?

claude