[SGVLUG] Mainframe(-ish) advert...

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Wed Jul 15 10:20:09 PDT 2009

I got this from my HP list, thought I'd send it as a bit of an FYI on the state of mini/mainframe computers and pricing...

Jesse Dougherty wrote:
> The following boxes are for sale:
>
> HP e3000 N4000-100-330 Server
> 16GB Memory
> 1 x 9GB MPE Boot drive
> 1 x 73GB Storage drive
> MPE/iX pre loaded
> $4,000.00 + $150.00 shipping (USA)
>
> HP e3000 N4000-100-500 Server
> 16GB Memory
> 1 x 9GB MPE Boot drive
> 1 x 73GB Storage drive
> MPE/iX pre loaded
> $5,000.00 + $150.00 shipping (USA)
>
> any questions or if interested, feel free to email me:
>
> Thanks
> Jesse Dougherty
> Cypress Technology, Inc
> Re-Sellers of HP 3000/9000 products
> 8565A Somerset Drive
> Largo, FL 33773
> 727-557-0911 / fax 727-683-1853
> jesse at cypress-tech.com
> www.cypress-tech.com

The "N4000" series are PA-Risc processors (it *migth* be possible to run Linux on them, but there are reasons why you wouldn't want to - namely, the corresponding HP-9000 *Unix* box doesn't have the clock speed "crippled"...)  I believe the "-100" indicates 1 processor, and the -330/-500 is the clock speed in megahertz  (yes, MEGA, not GIGA)  [but as "RISC" processors, that is less of an issue...]

The "original price" of these machines would be at least one, possibly two "orders of magnatude" higher (i.e., 40,000 to 400,000)