[SGVLUG] Suggestions for business application server

Joel Witherspoon joel.witherspoon at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 16:40:22 PDT 2009

Jim,

I can't comment with statistics, but I've had a good run with SATA in our
MSSQL environment. We replaced our SCSI servers with SATA servers and the
reliability is great.

In the last year, I've only purchased servers with RAID 10. We've eliminated
the IO issues that we had with RAID 5. Again it's RAID 10 with SATA;
moderate virtualization.

We have OS only servers that run RAID 5. We use a SAN for volumes. The SAN
is RAID 10.

When data has not been modified over 9 months we move it to a NAS box for
archival (NAS-LITE). It's not the best way, as there is not governance for
data retrieval, but the NAS box is a 4TB RAID 10 HP ML 370 that I've hulked
up just for storage. If someone is looking for a file, we can usually find
it with no problem. Our desire is to purchase a second SAN for data
progression; at least there we'll have logic for retrieval.

--
Joel Witherspoon

LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jcwitherspoon

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/joel.witherspoon