[SGVLUG] External Drive on RHEL 4

Rae Yip rae.yip at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 17:34:50 PDT 2009

Generally automounter takes care of removeable media (USB or
otherwise). So long as you don't force a mount in your /etc/fstab, it
should be fine to boot without the drive attached or on.

Samba might need a little scripting to re-probe and refresh its
available volumes when you plug in the drive, though. I'm not as
familiar with mucking that aspect.

-Rae.