[SGVLUG] Google's new OS move

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Jul 9 08:20:49 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 6:03 PM, John E. Kreznar<jek at ininx.com> wrote:

>>> What's so unusual about that?  For Years, Microsoft has made the
>>> claim that their graphically-oriented "shell" called "Windows" is
>>> an operating system, so why not a browser as the OS?
>>
>> I think the intent of the CrunchPad is to be *only* a web browser
>> rather than a general purpose computer.
>
> Well, I suppose that bash and emacs and latex and so on run under
> Android.  Do these and the other gazillion programs that we use every
> day run under Chrome?

I think you're saying "but I don't want a web browser, I want a traditional
computer."  That's fine -- use a traditional computer.   Things like
Crunchpad, Kindle, and Chrome OS are different.  They're not for
running traditional desktop software.

That said, if you build and install Chrome OS yourself, you could of
course get it to run anything you like.  It will be open source.
- Dan