[SGVLUG] FW: Linux for kids (part 2)

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Wed Jul 1 09:34:06 PDT 2009

[the second part of the article]

Sent to me by my dad via Google Reader: 10 More Linux Resources for
Kids via Stepcase Lifehack by Dustin Wax on 6/30/09

Yesterday, I wrote about Linux distributions designed with kids' needs
in mind and some of the software for children that runs on Linux. Today
I thought I'd share some of the other resources I came across while
researching a likely candidate to install on my nephew's and niece's
new PC.

- Switching Your Kids to Linux by Scott K. This is a great primer for
parents getting ready to give their kids a Linux system. The author
walks parents through the steps of getting your kids ready, such as
making sure open source software like Firefox, Pidgin, and Thunderbird
are already installed on any Windows systems your kids might use, so
that when you give them their Linux system, the only thing they have to
get used to is the new interface, not new programs.
Be sure to read the comments on this one for some further insights and
advice from other parents who are teaching their kids to use Linux.

- The Linux for Kids Experiment. Paul Barry at Linux Journal relates
his experience getting his kids to use Linux - which proved to be
easier than even he had thought. One good tip he gives is to set up a
window with links to all the kids' favorite apps (or the most
appropriate ones) so that kids can access them more easily. Again,
there's some good information in the comments, too.

- SchoolForge is a directory of open source educational software.
Though SchoolForge includes software for Windows and Mac as well as
Linux, most programs will run on Linux and everything is clearly marked.

- Open Source Programming Languages for Kids. Although not every kid
will be interested in learning to program, some will, and Linux offers
plenty of tools to help kids learn from basic to pretty advanced
programming concepts. Ryan McGrath reviews three programming languages
and kid-friendly environments to learn how to use them. These will run
on Windows or Mac, too, so don't feel left out if you aren't quite
ready to build a Linux system for your kids!

- Using Linux to Teach Kids How to Program by Anderson Silva. Since
programming is a complex skill, parents may want a little direction in
how to get their kids started. Anderson Silva discusses some of the
basics of LOGO, a programming tool where kids learn programming syntax
to make a "turtle" draw pictures.

- KidZui is a Firefox extension that transforms your plain-vanilla
browser into a kid-safe Web browsing environment, with access to
hundreds of thousands of pre-screened websites, videos, and games. It
is vital, of course, that you teach your kids safe browsing habits and
that you provide appropriate supervision when they're using the
Internet, but for younger kids this can be especially difficult - how
do you explain what they shouldn't do without having to explain
concepts they may not be ready to understand? A safe "sandbox" like
KidZui offers a safety net to back up your own instruction - and helps
parents find fun stuff for their kids to do online, too!

- Adobe Flash Player. Because of licensing issues, many Linux distros
do not come with Flash installed. However, your kids will quickly tire
of their YouTube- and Flash-game-free computer, so it's a good idea to
get it installed quickly. Just go to the link from your kids' Linux
computer, select "Linux", and follow the instructions to get Flash up
and running on your Linux box.

- Free eBooks and AudioBooks for Mobile Computers. I went looking for a
decent eBook reader for my nephew's and niece's computer, and found
this site with links to dozens of eBook resources. Because it's
intended for mobile computing, some of the resources listed are for
Linux-based PDAs, not PCs, but other than that there are a lot of great
resources here, from readers to websites to download free AudioBooks
and eBooks.

- YuuGuu. Since I'm going to be supporting this computer, I want to
have some way to access it remotely. LogMeIn, my preferred remote
access service, doesn't have a Linux server yet (though one is supposed
to be coming by the end of this year). VNC works great and is
pre-installed on most distros, but is complex to set up on a home
system behind a router and without a static IP address (if none of that
means anything to you, it would be even more complex for you to do!).
YuuGuu is the only desktop sharing service I could find that is both
free and Linux-ready, so I'll give it a try - the only downside is that
it looks like I"ll have to have someone initiate a session from the
kids' computer in order to do remote support.

[TE: of course, there is always ssh - you could even use "Putty" if all you have available is a windows client to log in with (such as from a computer "at work")]

- My Game Company is a distributor of "family-friendly" games for all
platforms, including Linux. Linux isn't known as a gaming platform, but
there are some pretty good titles out there, and even some commercial
games. The owners of My Game Country screen them all for excessive
violence, foul language, and adult sexuality to provide parents with
games they can be sure won't raise too many difficult questions in
young players' minds. Although the owners are explicitly Christian, the
game content itself is not Christian - and I think the standards they
use will please most parents Christian or otherwise.

I'm a little disappointed at the lack of resources available for
parents looking to explore Linux with their kids. It's surprising,
since Linux has virtually created the huge niche of childhood computing
as an affordable alternative to Windows for schools in poor countries.
There are now-defunct sites like "linuxforkids.org" that appear to have
once been developing resources, but are now only link farms. I'll be
happy to see new players on the field paying some attention to what
seems poised to become an important computing niche.

Maybe you know some good resources. If you know of anything, let us
know in the comments!

Dustin M. Wax is the project manager at Stepcase Lifehack. He is also
the creator of The Writer's Technology Companion, a site devoted to the
tools of the writing trade. When he's not writing, he teaches
anthropology and gender studies in Las Vegas, NV. He is the author of
Don't Be Stupid: A Guide to Learning, Studying, and Succeeding at
College.

Follow him on Twitter: @dwax.