[SGVLUG] scary RAID 5 going going .. soon 2 be gone?

Rae Yip rae.yip at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 18:07:19 PST 2009

One of the motivations for ZFS is to deal with partial disk failures
(such as URE) more gracefully. But it certainly is a problem as drives
get larger.

As for the virtual appliance below, it seems to be based on BackupPC.
That means it'll work great for Unix as long as you have rsync; SMB is
only required for backing up Windows (even then, only if you don't
care to install cygwin/rsync). It's Perl-based, but assuming the main
bottleneck is disk I/O, it performs alright.

A quick glance at the docs show that it's pre-compression file-level
dedupe, and standard zlib compression (ie. varies between 5-90%
compression depending on your data).

Shang-Lin uses BackupPC at work, so maybe she can tell you more.

-Rae.