[SGVLUG] Who is that knocking on my ports?

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Tue Jan 13 12:56:58 PST 2009

------Original Message----- Of Matt Campbell

> Hey Tom,
>
> I resent equating malicious hackers with speeders.

Ok, perhaps then "drivers that talk and/or text w/out a seatbelt and
drinking a beer?"

> Then again equating the good hackers with speeders does have
> its merits. ;)

Actually, the analogy breaks down anyway if you consider that many of
the "attacks" come from already-compromised systems -- drivers that
break the law do so of their own volition, whereas brute-force attacks
may or may not be at the whim of the owner of the equipment that is
physically performing the attack.