[SGVLUG] Flag this message Re: Red Hat Follow Up

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 12 13:01:49 PST 2009

fyi - I'm forwarding this for Mike... somehow his reply
didn't get thru

Subject: Re: [SGVLUG] Red Hat Follow Up
From:    "Mike Rubel" <mrubel at lebur.net>
Date:    Sun, January 11, 2009 2:26 pm
To:      "SGVLUG Discussion List." <sgvlug at sgvlug.net>
Cc:      sgvlug at sgvlug.net

> Akrash from Red Hat sent an e-mail asking how deep of a talk we'd like to
> have.  I'm a beginner on the topics of realtime and selinux so I am
> leaving it up to those who requested the topic.  How deep would you like
> them to go?

I would love to learn how to think about, and craft, selinux policy to
solve system design problems.  I can make use of chcon, the -Z flags, and
the occasional setsebool to make things work and lock services down, but
these are always minor adjustments to the default policy, and I don't
really understand the default policy as a whole.

If I have created a new service or daemon, for example, how do I create a
selinux policy to lock it down?  Or, if I want to change the access given
to an existing service, such as giving httpd access to a new top-level
directory, what's the right approach?

Thanks!

-Mike