[SGVLUG] OT: Anyone got a DTV converter recommendation?

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 18:01:25 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Stan Slonkosky <stan.ke6zc at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Michael Proctor-Smith
> <mproctor13 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes they need an Antenna and it needs to be for UHF as that is where
>> the DTV stations are not in VHF where the analog station.
>>

> When analog is shut down on February 17, DTV from KCBS will move from
> channel 60 to channel 43 and DTV from KCAL will move from channel 43
> to channel 9 (the channel it now uses for analog broadcasts). I
> initially learned this from Mike Collis (WA6SVT) when he was showing
> me around the KCBS and KCAL sites on Mt. Wilson, where Mike works as
> an engineer (and looks after the ATN repeater in the KCAL building).
>
> in Albany, NY, and in Chicago, there are already DTV broadcasts on
> VHF. See http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages_b/MusicalChairs.html .
> --
> Stan Slonkosky

Oh, I hadn't thought about that.   Does that mean that the local TV
stations will change the channel numbers use to refer to themselves?
Like with the news shows?

After growing up in LA, it's going to take a while to get used to the
idea that the major networks won't be on 2/4/7.  I have problems when
traveling and I have to either flip through channels in the hotel or
look for the channel guide.  I wonder what the cable companies are
going to do.  I mean if the local TV stations change their channel
number, are the cable companies going to change their lineup to match?
  With Time Warner right now, we just add 400 to the regular number so
402 is the HD version of CBS

Then again, I don't channel surf much anymore.  I pretty much watch
everything through TiVo which records by show title not channel
number.   When I do look for something "live", I usually check the
channel guide and if the description is interesting, THEN I change the
channel.  Even then, I'm still using the buffers so when a commercial
comes on, I hit pause, jump to the other tuner, watch that for a
while, then swap back when that channel goes to a commercial break.
Then I fast forward through commercials that don't interest me.

claude