[SGVLUG] [OT]-ish: Really stretching the meaning of "copy"...

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 14:10:51 PST 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Emerson, Tom (*IC)
<Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com> wrote:
> On-topic so far as we generally consider copyright support or
> infringement posts as "important" to this community:
>
> http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2009/02/10/authors-guild-claims.html
>
> The URL there hints at it, but the "claim" is that text-to-speech
> programs are /illegaly/ "copying" a work...

>From the article:

  "Kindle 2's flagship feature is the reading of text out loud, in the
same way as software that's already built into desktop computers and
Prof. Stephen Hawking's famous voice box. This has caused a "stir."
Paul Aiken, executive director of the Author's Guild, told the Wall
Street Journal that you have no right to use this feature. It's a free
audiobook, see."

Maybe someone can ask Stephen Hawking his opinion on this:

  STEPHEN HAWKING LECTURE ON MARCH 9
    Noted physicist Stephen W. Hawking will give a public lecture
    called "Why We Should Go into Space" on Monday, March 9, at 8 p.m.
    The lecture, sponsored by Caltech, will be presented at the newly
    expanded Pasadena Convention Center. This is a ticketed event, with
    all tickets priced at $10. A very limited number of free tickets are
    still available for Caltech students and faculty members. You must
    present your own ID in person at the Caltech Ticket Office to receive a
    free ticket.
    Information: http://www.events.caltech.edu/hawking