[SGVLUG] data center temps

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 17 17:35:17 PST 2009

Hi,

After doing a bit of research it seems that many
data centers managers (sun, google, microsoft, .. )
are making their data centers hotter... 80 deg or a bit
more.

Depending on your equipment you may have an efficiency
cut off in the mid to upper 80s ( where the system's fans
are over working.. )

getting air flow to all the equipment is still a bit tricky,

ALSO cooling system failures are still an issue.. in some
reports a data center may go up 20 deg in just 15-20min after
the cooling system shuts off.

wow, how things have changed.

Many data centers used to run lower than 72 deg.. some so
chilly that I would have to bring a coat/long sleeve shirt
with me just to keep warm while working.

NOW, maybe I have to stock a hawaiian shirt and shorts!

lol

cheers
matti