[SGVLUG] I resign as publicity chair

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Thu Aug 20 11:36:12 PDT 2009

Years ago I and someone else volunteered to be on the publicity
committee.  We were effectively co-chairs.  Then the other co-chair
left, leaving only me.  But I haven't been very active in the LUG and
haven't taken any initiatives on publicity after we moved to our present
meeting room (I did change some listings of us to reflect that new
location).  I used to get yearly notices to renew one of our
listings, but haven't got this for over a year

So based on my lack of doing any publicity for years, I effectively
resigned, but this is to make it official.

Things I (and sometimes others) did in the past:
1. Put flyers in a CD-Rom store on S. Lake Ave.  They were put next
to Linux CDs so persons buying such a CD might take them.  Today such
CD images are distributed on the Internet.

2. Listed us in the Calendar of the Pasadena Weekly newspaper under
"tech talk".  But they eliminated this heading and there was no other
suitable category.  Today, they have no categories.

3. Listed us in the MicroTimes computer give-away newspaper (no longer
published).  I guess the free computer newspapers have been replaced
by the Internet.

4. Listed us in major lists of lugs and computer clubs found on
the Internet.  This is the way most people find us today.  What
someone needs to do now is to list us in more places on the Internet
and check that our current listings are correct.

Where I listed us:  I clicked on the links to where I listed us in the
past and found about half of them to be either dead or the link went
to a non-lug-list site.  I've deleted these but here's a list of where
we are still listed:

<LI><a href="http://www.linux.org/groups/usa/california.html">Linux Online - User Groups</a>
(The above shows me as the contact person, but I don't get any
inquiries)
<LI><a href="http://www.linuxlinks.com/UserGroups/UnitedStates/">Linux Links: UserGroups : UnitedStates</a>
<LI><a href="http://www.lalugs.org/">Los Angeles Linux User Groups</a>
<LI><a href="http://www.at-la.com/@la-comp.htm">@LA Computers in Southern California: Los Angeles County, Orange County, Riverside County, San Bernardino County and Ventura County</a>
<LI><a href="http://www.at-la.com/@la-mod.htm">Submit Additions or Changes to @LA</a>

We were once listed at Yahoo, but this list is old, short and
seemingly unmaintained:

<LI><a href="http://dir.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Software/Operating_Systems/UNIX/Linux/User_Groups/">Yahoo! Linux User Groups</a>
			David Lawyer