[SGVLUG] Graphics

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Tue Aug 18 17:21:09 PDT 2009

> -----Original Message----- Of ListReg
>
> Do we have any graphic people (I'm not) on th list. Here's what I've
> got.,  a background jpg for a web site that I want to put another
> smaller jpg randomly on/under it as a watermark. I know it
> can be done
> but haven't the software or talent to do it ( I know there's Gimp but
> haven't figured it out).

Do you want this "watermark" to be visible to the end users, or useful as proof that your image may have been copied far and wide without your knowledge or consent [of course, putting it up as a background pretty much consents to copying far and wide in the first place, but it sounds like you have other reasons for being concerned]

If you want the watermark to be "visible", and possibly semi-annoying [along the lines of the "bug" that you see on televised movies], you might consider a simple greyscale image that you apply as the "alpha" channel of the image in gimp - this will "slightly fade" the image where it is "grey" and leave it untouched where "white" [or maybe the other way around -- play with it till you get something you like]

If you want it to be "invisible", look up "steganography" [and in particular, "linux steganography software"] in your favorite search engine.