[SGVLUG] Thanks Joel for the presentation last nite! Plus more..

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 12:44:32 PDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 12:19 PM, matti<mathew_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> THANKS Joel! That was a very nice presentation.
>
> Scary stuff. ( Honestly, everyone should be aware
> of those SSL threats.. )
>

> Here's the link of the Blackhat presentation I mentioned
>
> SMS cell phone attacks paper -
>
> http://www.blackhat.com/presentations/bh-usa-09/MILLER/BHUSA09-Miller-FuzzingPhone-PAPER.pdf
>
> Havent read the entire paper.. more scary stuff...
> ( sms attacks succeed against iphone, android, and.. ?? )

So I skimmed the pdf and as I thought it is a theoretical attack. That
works because they are injecting bad data between the modem and the
communication demon inside of the phone, and at worse it is a
Denial-of-service attack. At worse, once they install software on your
phone they can cause a Denial-of-service.