[SGVLUG] Not-so-quick question 2

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Thu Apr 30 21:28:46 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 05:38:59PM -0700, Matt Campbell wrote:
> Ok, here's the real question:
>

> I have a linux kernel bug problem.  On shutdown it looks like my server is
> removing the sd device before the SCSI sync finishes.  This results in the
> computer hanging part way through shutdown.
[snip]

> So, where can I go to post this problem?  I would like to give back to the
> community by offering my computer as a test bed to solve this, but I don't
> know where to start.

Normally you just send a bug report to your Linux Distribution.  For
example, Debian has a special url to send bug reports to.  Then they
are supposed to check it out, send it to kernel developers and report
back to you when the bug is fixed.  Sometimes the bug eventually gets
fixed as kernel code is updated.  You have a race condition that may
not be easy to replicate on another machine.

			David Lawyer