[SGVLUG] backups -- was Dev-sig location

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Fri Apr 24 16:36:37 PDT 2009

> -----Original Message----- Of Claude Felizardo
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 12:02 PM, David Lawyer <dave at lafn.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 04:51:11PM -0700, Eric Hammond wrote:
> >>
> >> For backups, I use dirvish which is also based on rsync and
> >> hardlinks.
> >
> > I haven't yet found a satisfactory backup.  I'm now using
> the old and
> > unmaintained cpbk (stands for copy backup).

(this sounds a bit like what they have at the moment - implemented as a simple 5 or 6 line shell script)

> >                        David Lawyer
> >

> What I like about rsnapshot is that it saves multiple
> versions so I can go back and pick which version I want but
> if the file has not changed, it uses a hard link so the only
> additional space used is an inode.
[...]

Does anyone have experience with a program called "Amanda"?  I noticed this in the gentoo apps-backup list as well, and since the library also has a few windows clients that need backing up, this might be a good fit.

(I got a bit of a chuckle out of the Amanda "setup" page, since they claim you can set up a heterogeneous backup system in less time than it takes to get a pizza delivered, and in fact the instructions begin with "call pizza place and order a pizza; start your stopwatch" -- the "local pizza place" is literally next door to the library -- they almost share parking lots...)

The distribution the library is using is Gentoo -- is there anything special I need to know about installing "packages", or can/does "rpm" work well enough here?