[SGVLUG] Dev-sig location

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Fri Apr 24 08:59:35 PDT 2009

> -----Original Message----- Of Mike Rubel
> [I asked]
> > First up: actually doing something usefull with the "backups".

> > Suggestions?
>
> Why don't we give them something rsync-based, with automatic
> rotation?  I have a little experience with that.  :)

Actually, when I spoke with my dad about this he remembered you had put on a talk about this in the past (and from the recent flurry of responses, sounds like it's time to repeat that talk...)

The rsnapshot sounds pretty good too, especially since what they are doing now is overkill (and rather inefficient -- the copy, archive, compress, and delete-the-copy operations are all individual commands; "tar" can do all of that in one shot...)  They archive the entire "/home" partition as well as a separate archive for the website.  The users of this system primarilly use it for library-related e-mails [there are only a dozen accounts or so] and the website is "mostly static", though I do believe they have some form of CMS backing the actual articles posted to the site.

I also looked at "backup-manager" (which I found in the gentoo apps-backup repository), and that would probably suffice as well -- especially since it can be set to do incremental backups -- the only thing that changes for the users would be their /mail directory, and even then it's only a few messages per day, if that.

(one interesting "feature" of the backup-manager script is the "remove duplicates" option -- after archiving, it compares the new archive to the previous one, and if they are identical, deletes the old and creates a symlink pointing to the new one instead.  The down side to this is that the symlink "chain" could grow quite long...)