[SGVLUG] Dev-sig location

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Thu Apr 23 12:02:53 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 04:51:11PM -0700, Eric Hammond wrote:

> For backups, I use dirvish which is also based on rsync and hardlinks.
> Claude Felizardo wrote:
> > I use rsnapshot which is based on Mike Rubel's original set of
> > scripts.

I haven't yet found a satisfactory backup.  I'm now using the old and
unmaintained cpbk (stands for copy backup).  What it does is syncs my
2nd hard disk to look like the 1st one, at least for /home and certain
other important stuff.  Since the 2nd hard disk is bootable, should
the 1st disk fail, I would just boot from the 2nd disk and have all my
files the way they were the previous day.  It also has a trash
directory on the 2nd hd for saving deleted files.

But a problem is: suppose I accidentally delete part of a file (on the
1st disk) but don't realize it.  Then I keep modifying the file and
the original one in the trash gets overwritten so I loose the stuff I
accidentaly deleted.  I would like the trash directory to append
numerals to file name such that putting a file in the trash directory
never deletes the older files with the same base name.

Of course I could use both a sync program like unison to keep the hard
disks in sync and then use a backup program like rsnapshot to protect
against accidental corruption of files.  But it would be easier if one
program did it all (like cpbk tries to do).

			David Lawyer