[SGVLUG] [OT] red-light camera program LOST money due to a one-second change

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Wed Apr 22 10:59:38 PDT 2009

I think it was on this list that we talked about how some states/cities use "red-light" cameras as a primary revenue source, so when checking some facts for a similar discussion elsewhere, I found this article:

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/27/2705.asp

Which states:

...A pair of red light cameras operated throughout 2008 with the shorter yellow yellow time, allowing LaserCraft to mail an average of fifteen tickets per day on the city's behalf. After the yellow was lengthened on January 1, 2009, that figure dropped eighty percent to just three tickets per day -- with devastating effect on the program's bottom line. In 2008, motorists paid $259,083 in citations. According to Stidd's calculations, the longer yellow meant the automated ticketing program would lose $145,000 in 2009.

"The addition of one second has made a significant reduction in red light violations," Stidd wrote. "We have realized a reduction in accidents at the two intersections."

===

Yes, the "shorter yellow time" in the first sentence was only ONE SECOND shorter!

Thought some folks here would enjoy that fact ;)

Tom