[SGVLUG] Mailman, SPAM Traps, and UCEProtect

Chris Louden chris at chrislouden.com
Thu Apr 16 09:56:12 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 9:31 AM, Emerson, Tom (*IC)
<Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com> wrote:
> I should have read a little further before posting...
>
>> -----Original Message----- of Emerson, Tom (*IC)
>>
>> From the wiki page you referenced:

>> The key word here is "untainted", ...
>> In this case, it appears they've been outed, and the spammers
>> are using you in a joe-job fashion to cover their tracks.
>
> Reading the wiki article a little further pointed out the same thing
>
> Further, it links to an article on "backscatter"
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backscatter_(e-mail)
>
> And suggests two methods of dealing with it:
>
>   1) reject the message at the time of connection
>   2) don't reply to it (or rather, only send bounces to /plausible/ senders)

Obviously. Plausible senders gets a bit difficult for those that use
the SMTP of their home ISP to relay messages from either their own
domain or a gmail/etc. account via thunderbird/evoliution or etc. I
can't do an SPF record check or reverse DNS verification on them. How
do you recommend I block this backskatter without adding inconvenience
to real mailing list subscribers?