[SGVLUG] Mailman, SPAM Traps, and UCEProtect

Chris Louden chris at chrislouden.com
Thu Apr 16 09:10:57 PDT 2009

First let me apologize for cross posting to several lists, but I'm
looking for suggestions to an urgent issue. I thought of just emailing
the mailing list admins but it is a valid topic for those of use that
admin linux mail servers.

Having an issue with a bot/spammer sending messages to a mailman
mailing list. At first it was just sending to the -owner accounts and
etc. but recently it started hitting the actual list address. Now, now
of these message are getting through to the list. However mailman
(working as it is designed) responds to these messages. Sorry you are
not on this list please subscribe to post messages to the lists...
yada yada.

The problem is the reply to address of the messages is a SPAMTAP.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spamtrap

Recent message were sent from IPs in Korea but the domain name was a .de.

I'm getting flagged at UCE Protect for sending a SPAM when all mailman
did was what it was designed to do. My ISP of course wants to keep
their netblock in good standing and are nagging me for sending SPAM.

SPAM Assassin, blacklisting and virus scanning are in place. However I
not aware of a formal list of SPAMTRAP email address I can block to
make sure I never contact one.

The ISP is threatening a $500 fine if I can't fix this. So far i think
there have been 10 occurrences this year. Which isn't a lot compared
to the tens of thousands of messages this server has handled.

Im searching the mailman resources but any suggestions are welcome.

-Chris