[SGVLUG] FW: Video server

Chris Louden chris at chrislouden.com
Wed Apr 15 19:51:08 PDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 4:59 PM, Matt Campbell <dvdmatt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Chris,
>
> I talked to a number of people and the recommendation had been to avoid ext3
> with large static files as the journaling would slow down performance.  It
> sounds like you disagree.  Where do you go to find a good performance

The reference for dealing with large files I should have clarified
more. I was only refering to EXT4 and XFS. EXT3 is awful at large
files.

> comparison of the various FSs?

I did my own recently XFS came out as the winner until I broke 50GB in
fiie size. At which point EXT4 took the lead. The difference was only
a minute as i recall. 6min to write a 52GB file with EXT4, took 7 with
XFS. At 25GB XFS was about 30 seconds faster.

I ended up picking XFS, which i had never worked with till now.