[SGVLUG] FW: Job finding advice. -- just in time for this week's meeting

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Tue Apr 14 12:35:41 PDT 2009

> -----Original Message----- Of Stephan Cunningham
>
> Hi Tom,
> I was at Caltech last week and noticed your meeting flyers re: jobs in
> today's market. I looked on the sgvlug site but there was no obvious
> way to post a job in the classifieds

You just did ;)

Like old-fashioned newspapers, you gotta submit your post to a real live person who (may) eventually post it on the site.  (and when I do, it'll be set to expire after a month -- of course, once the position is filled I'd like to know so I can pull it down earlier)

> ... (nor do the classifieds look like they're used),

True -- I don't get many requests for posts (on either side of the fence -- we WILL put out "breadcrumbs" for those seeking employment...) but it doesn't really "cost" us anything to include it (other than time to maintain it)

> ... and I don't know if your list considers job
> solicitations in bad form. So I'm emailing you!

Generally, we're pretty tolerant of postings done "in good taste" - frequency should be once a month at most (unless responding to someone asking what's available, and then of course tailored to the question)  Also the offer must be genuine -- word-of-mouth will get around real quick in this group if there is no real intention to hire.  (and like pushing the "I don't know this guy" button on linked-in, if I hear about it the ad will be pulled immediately and it will take a lot of convincing on your part before I post anything else from you in the future)

So, with that in mind, and for the benefit of the rest of the readers, what you have here is pretty good (and I wonder, by getting the location wrong for your own posting on your own site, it shows why you're looking for developers?):