[SGVLUG] Linux Partitioning for Server

Edgar Garrobo egarrobo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 14:55:38 PDT 2009

I can understand the benefit of putting the SWAP file on a seperate drive or
array, but it seems like such a waste to give up a 320GB drive or two of
them in the RAID1/mirrored for OS/root and SWAP.  Between the / and SWAP I
only need about 30GB max.  That leaves 290GB (or 610GB with 2 drives) of
space wasted.  The server can only physically support 4 drives because it's
only got 4 drive bays and using an external array or fibre channel is out of
the question for this server.